Pages

5.15.2013

Would you do it again?

Yes I'm blogging twice in a day - I think I'm breaking code...

Ok so I've been reading blogs like crazy lately and am going through my new followers' blogs so I can read everyone's story.  On that note forgive me if you've mentioned this before but if you could go back would you still choose lapband?

I've been interested in this for a long time - I remember an old co-worker getting bypass in 2007 or 2008 and being envious. It just never worked out before due to insurance or my own insecurities. I tried to tell myself the band was the lazy way out & that I could do it the "natural way".  Mind you, I have never been opposed to diet pills or fad diets so idk how my logic made sense but I went with it.

Anyway, earlier this year when I started this process, because I'm finally ready.  I texted my friend who had his lapband in Singapore about 3 years ago.  I asked if he was happy & if he'd do it again.  He told me he'd probably opt for the gastric sleeve.  I had no idea what that was at the time.  He then went on to tell me he's had no trouble with the band to make him feel this way but if I remember right it boiled down to "less maintenance".  I started researching the sleeve. I like it for the fact that there's no port, fills, or band slippage.  However, it scares me that I'm actually removing part of my stomach.  It's irreversible with higher risk rates.  And potentially my stomach can swell out again which is also irreversible (right?)

My surgeon says he'll do either procedure but he prefers the band due to lower risk & the fact that I can always move up but I can't go back.  Of course I still lean toward the band, especially since there are no long term statistics on the sleeve (at least in the US), but part of me still wants to explore the sleeve.


4 comments:

  1. I would consider the sleeve, but think that ultimately I would have still gone with the band. So much of this journey involves head changes, changes in how we relate/use food. I don't think GB or GS really help you through that process. Because there is the option of failure with the band, you are forced to face your demons on some level and make decisions for your future. It is liberating to have so much control and ability to celebrate your success as truly your own, with a little help from "the band"

    Good Luck and take your time making your decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, although it's a challenge any way, I think the lapband forces change more than the other option(s); they may be a little easier in the beginning to lose and they also don't force you to change (theoretically) since you can probably still eat whatever whereas the band actually limits/changes the ability to eat certain foods.

      Delete
  2. I love my band. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would never do the sleeve. 80% of the stomach is amputated and thrown away. What if I need that stomach later in life? Way too drastic for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! New follower here. I probably would've opted for the sleeve if it had been an option. Faster weight loss and less maintenance. But I don't regret my decision to get the band and while I still struggle, I couldn't have lost the weight I have without it.

    ReplyDelete

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter